Saturday, November 10, 2007

Isabelle Agnes Meyer

We were admitted into the hospital around 8:30 a.m. on October 26th. The person checking us in was named, Sandy. It must have been a dead give away that we were nervous because she mentioned it to me a few times. I WAS nervous…was I ready to have a newborn in the house again, how can we manage 2 toddlers and a newborn, can I afford to take 12 weeks off for maternity leave, will breastfeeding be a challenge once again, will this baby be colicky, will the girls take to her new sister well or will they resent having her in the house, I am somewhat nervous of the caesarean section…I don’t know why because I’ve been through it before, how will I ever sleep, so many thoughts going through my mind, yet I try to remain calm because this was definitely not the time to worry about things. I could not wait to meet the new addition to the Meyer family. We have waited 9 long months for this day. We were scheduled to go in for the c-section at 10:30a.m., but around 9:15 a.m., Sandy informed us that we were being bumped! How could this happen? I was supposed to meet my baby around 10:30! Oh well, you never can predict emergencies. We were told that we would most likely be bumped by about an hour. Needless to say I was starving at this point, but could not have any food or drink, and the butterflies in my stomach were not helping the matter. Madeline and Morgan along with my parents and sister came in to visit with me around 9:30a.m. It was such a treat to see the girls, although they had no comprehension of what mom was doing laying down in “that bed” and what was hooked up into my arm (the IV). I think it almost made them a little scared. We reassured them that baby Kevin would soon be here. Madeline had to go to the bathroom, so my family left. My sister and Corbett went to find food since we knew it would be a while yet before they’d actually start prepping me. That left me alone in room 1, alone with my thoughts. I began to feel more relaxed and anxious to meet our still nameless baby. Every time Corbett and I started to talk about the name we were somehow interrupted. We had an idea of what her name would be, but didn’t quite say, that’s it. Around 11:15 or so, the process started of getting ready for surgery. I was so nervous that I think I went in to use the bathroom about 4 or 5 times, but really didn’t even have to go. It all went by so fast. They eventually brought me to operating room 1 in Labor and Delivery and told Corbett that they would come back to get him once they were ready. The room was freezing, this is one thing I definitely remember with Morgan’s c-section. The anesthesiologist, Brian, was the first to meet me in the operating room. He was ready to administer the spinal block. Once the injection was given I was strapped on to the operating table and a nurse laid 2 very warm blankets on me, thank goodness because I couldn’t stop shivering from the cold. There were so many people in the operating room, I wish I could remember all of their names, because I’d love to thank them for making the experience such a positive one, and making me feel comfortable because I still was extremely nervous. Dr Cremer, my OB/GYN, was ready to go, she said she was going to do one test to make sure the spinal worked, and then they would bring Corbett in. Whatever she did must have worked because I didn’t feel a thing up to my breast bone. Finally Corbett was brought into the operating room at 11:44 a.m., I was so happy to see him. He had the video camera in one hand and the digital camera in another, he was ready to go! I held onto his hand until I heard that cry that I so badly wanted to hear. At 11:52 a.m., Isabelle Agnes Meyer was born. (It took only 8 minutes from the time Corbett came in until she arrived, it was THAT fast). I wanted Corbett to go with Isabelle, I reassured him I would be fine. Isabelle scored a 9,9 on her Apgars, just like here sisters. Once they got her cleaned up Corbett brought her over to me, and I finally got to meet her for the very first time. I was in love. She was so precious. She didn’t get to stay with me long because they had to bring her to the nursery. I again wanted Corbett to stay with her. I could see in his eyes that he was such a proud daddy. I am so very lucky to have such a wonderful husband and father for our children. He truly is such a blessing my life. Once I was settled in recovery, Corbett and Isabelle came back to be with me before we were brought to our room. It was such a peaceful time, just the 3 of us. Corbett and I were so proud of the little girl we created. We finally were brought to our room around 2p.m. Corbett insisted that we stay on level 2, and we did. We were assigned room 229. Our stay at Fairview Southdale was once again a great one, thanks to my postpartum nurses Joni and Anna. They were awesome. Isabelle is already 2 weeks old and everyone is adjusting to being a family of five. Wow….five! Madeline and Morgan just LOVE their big sister. They can’t get enough of her. Isabelle is such a content baby. We can’t wait for everyone to meet her!




We're ready to go!



At 11:52a.m., Isabelle was born



First picture




Love at first sight







We're finally in our room





The Meyer family

Isabelle Agnes Meyer is going home

4 comments:

cassieagar said...

That made me a little teary eyed. I love you guys! Can't wait to see you all soon.

Anonymous said...

Such, moving words telling us your jurnry to meet beautiful Isabelle Agnes.I felt like I was a fly on the wall in the room with you. She is so cute and sweet. I just loved meeting her the other day. You guys are doing such a wonderful job. Love always...Christina.L.

Swarty Family said...

Beautiful! Love the story. We can't wait to meet the little gal.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading the birth report. Excellent. Also, Congratulations!!