Thursday, February 28, 2008

A long couple weeks

It's been a long couple of weeks. I'm starting to feel like I live at Southlake Pediatrics. It first started with Madeline...she had been complaining of her head hurting for several weeks. I don't know why I didn't think it was serious enough to bring her in, I think we thought she might just be fighting some bug, who knows. It got bad enough where she was complaining for a number of days (which involved a weekend), so on Monday, the 18th I called the clinic and told them what was going on and they fit us in for a 10:30a.m. appt that morning. Maddie and I spent 1/2 the day at the clinc, they checked for everything, blood pressure, took blood, and finally an xray. It turned out Madeline had a sinus infection. The Drs were not 100% convinced that this was causing the headaches though, which still makes me nervous. It was such a small infection, whatever that means. She was prescribed Amoxicillin and if she complained of anymore headaches we were to call in to the clinic immediately and we would go to plan b. Plan b being, Children's Hospital. Thank God it has not come to that. Madeline has not complained of her head hurting and I hope she never does again.

Then it was Morgan's turn, I swear they're two peas in a pod. Morgan started off last weekend just not herself (until we were outside). On Monday she ran a fever, nothing serious, Tuesday it got up to 103.5, and Wednesday really was not any better. What concerned me is that she had no other symptoms, so on Wednesday I brought her in to the clinic after they recommended that we do so on Tuesday, and after multiples tests, they found NOTHING! I can't even describe how frustrated I was. I felt helpless. Running fevers over 103 did not seem normal to me, especially when the fever just wouldn't go away. We can not give Morgan Acetaminophen/Tylenol because she is deathly allergic to it (we found this out at 4 mos), so we were dependent on Ibuprofen which just wouldn't kick the fevers. We were told that if it went on until Friday to come back in and they'd run more tests. I am happy to say that Morgan has turned a corner and she did not have to take Ibuprofen tonight before going to bed tonight. I pray that the fever does not come back.

1 comment:

Swarty Family said...

I am glad everyone is feeling better. What a trying time for everyone! Spring, please come soon!